You know you're married to a PhD student when...
- At dinner with your husband's friends, you don't understand 80% of the conversation.
- You are one of two people in that dinner group who is not pursuing a PhD.
- You still get the student discount at the movie theater.
- It is hard to keep track of your husband's class schedule from semester-to-semester (or even day-to-day)
- Your husband still gets a Christmas break.
- You find yourself having more conversations about Hilbert spaces, real analysis and computer programming than you ever thought you would.
- Even scarier, you are actually starting to understand some of the more basic things he is saying (thanks Dad for preparing me for electrical engineering wife-hood!)
- You know your husband's favorite study snack (chocolate chip cookie dough)
- You make that study snack every time test week comes around, in hopes that it will help to ease the stress.
- Meals are scheduled around how much time away from studying he can spend eating dinner (or helping clean it up)
- You requested your own DVR in the bedroom just so you don't always annoy him with watching Real Housewives and Project Runway while he studies.
- Your husband has been known to go to bed at 5:00 am... not because of watching tv but because of writing papers.
- The papers your husband writes are so complicated that you can't even offer to help him edit them. (I offer my dad instead!)
- Your heart almost explodes from pride when you realize that all of his efforts are not just because he loves school (I'm pretty sure love is not the emotion he is feeling right now). They are because he wants to travel to Rome one day... buy a beautiful home... send kids to college... buy a grand piano... take ski vacations... have NBA season tickets... travel to visit our families... provide for his family... and he wants to do all of this with me. I think it's safe to say that I am a very proud, incredibly lucky girl.
Thanks for indulging me in a sappy post! Pictures from our fun weekend still to come!