Monday, March 28, 2011

party in the atl.

Let me start by saying that we will be ignoring the fact that this trip took place over a month ago and this post has been in my 'drafts' folder for about that long. Let's pretend I have not put it off for that long and that I am on top of everything in my life. Deal? Deal. On with the recap...

We spent Valentine's weekend with two of our favorite friends. Troy and Ivy made the trip out to Atlanta and we had the best time! 

They arrived Friday night and we spent the evening catching up and enjoying a delicious dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants. 

Tucker was thrilled to have people sleeping on the pull-out couch. He seems to think that bed is just for him.



Saturday was filled with sight-seeing, beginning with lunch at The Varsity...





After filling our tummies with hot dogs, we headed downtown to World of Coca-Cola for a tour. This was the first time for all of us to go. The tour was great! We learned about the bottling process, saw some Coca-Cola art and even did some taste-testing.




We even convinced the boys to take a group picture with the Coca-Cola polar bear. This thing was so creepy but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite picture of the weekend!





If you are ever in Italy, I highly recommend that you do not order Beverly at a restaurant. Not the greatest beverage to come out of the Coca-Cola franchise. 




Next on our list was the Georgia Aquarium. Ivy used some fabulous grad school connections and was able to get us a free backstage tour of the aquarium. We were able to see so many hidden areas and learned a lot about the aquarium.


Looking out over the beluga whale tank
We thought it would be fun to make dinner together and prepared quite the feast after our fun day. I didn't get a picture of the whole set-up, but here is my plate filled with deliciousness. The boys grilled steaks while the ladies made twice-baked potatoes and asparagus. 


And we followed dinner with a few rounds of Buzz Words, boys vs. girls style. I'll let the score card speak for itself...


Sunday was a wonderful, lazy day at the apartment. 

Ivy and I had some homework to do (while snacking on a failed attempt at homemade queso) and the boys spent some time talking about math or science or maybe computers. I can't remember... Ivy and I were too engrossed with the queso to really pay attention. 


Kyle had an intramural basketball game Sunday night so we all headed over to campus to cheer him on. Ivy is the greatest intramural-watching buddy ever. We kept ourselves entertained with coffee and court-side manicures.  


After the game we got dressed up and went on a Valentine's double date at a great restaurant in our neighborhood.




And as if their presence wasn't enough, they brought me a set of these adorable Valentine's coffee mugs that I had been tempted to buy! So thoughtful and sweet.


Troy made a great toast before dinner one night "to friends who are more like family" and it perfectly sums up how much we love these two. Sounds cheesy, but it is completely true. I am so thankful that Troy and Kyle have remained such wonderful friends over the years. I am also thankful that not only do he and I get along great, but he married a girl that I absolutely love spending time with. I can't tell you all how many conversations we had that weekend about trips we hope to take together in the future and things we want to do as our two families grow. What is even more fun that talking about those hypotheticals is that I know they'll all come true. I see many years ahead for the Krueger-Ruths duo!





2 comments:

  1. i love everything about this post. i hope you have the best day of your life today. <3 xoxo i've been praying furiously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest post ...love girlfriends and even better when the husbands get along too!! So great, and their visit looked like SO much fun!!

    ReplyDelete